Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tip Line gets regional publicity in the Democrat and Chronicle

This short article appeared in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle on August 13, 2008.

Help stop underage drinking Underage-drinking tip lines let you anonymously report parties that are planned or under way or other activities that threaten the safety of young people.

The Tipline, based in Genesee County, also accepts calls from Monroe, Orleans and Wyoming counties. It is a collaborative of Regional Action Phone Inc. and Genesee/Orleans Council on Alcohol and Substance Abuse. Call (800) 851-1932. The Tip Line will forward your information to the appropriate police agency.

Parents or other adults who allow people younger than 21 to drink alcohol at their home may think they can monitor the drinking, but they're doing something illegal that puts people's health and safety at risk, says Holly Baxter, executive director of Regional Action Phone in Batavia, Genesee County.

The State Police also have a hotline to report illegal purchase or consumption of alcohol by underage drinkers: (866) 863-3721. Calls are referred to law enforcement agencies around the state.

No comments: