Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Put My Father In Prison



Alcoholism and drug abuse are family diseases. This young woman describes how alcohol was used by her father to perpetrate incest. The biggest rape drug in the world are not "ruffies", or ecstacy, or some other more exotic substance. It is common, every day, legally sold and consumed and governmentally regulated, alcohol.

From the July 11, 2009 issue of the Guardian :

I was nine when my parents split up and my father moved in with his mother. My sister and I would stay with my father at weekends as part of the contact arrangements, and it was during these overnight stays that he forced me to drink alcohol before submitting me to sexual abuse that carried on for four years.

As soon as I got my period, the abuse stopped. I put it to the back of my mind and tried to get on with my life. Then, when I turned 16, I noticed that my father was showing my younger sister the kind of attention I remembered. One night, I came in from a party and he was sitting staring at her. Something in me snapped, and I went home and told my mother everything.

She couldn't stop crying or blaming herself. She said it explained so many things - for example, why I was rebelling so much and why privacy had become so important to me. I wouldn't even let people in my bedroom. My mother went to social services and they told her to go to the police. I can't fault the police. They put me at ease before taking my statement by video. Then they interviewed some members of my family and arrested my father.

No comments: