Thursday, December 31, 2009

What kind of care do prositutes need in substance abuse treatment?

What kinds of services do women need who have been involved in prositution when they enter substance abuse treatment?

A study reported in the December, 2008 issue of the journal, Psychiatric Services, found that they are more likely to need residential services and more psychosocial services when they are in outpatient care.

Here is the conclusion from the study:

The findings suggest that women involved
in prostitution before entering
substance abuse treatment are more
likely to receive residential care than
women not involved in prostitution.
When they are treated in outpatient
settings, they are likely to receive
more psychosocial services. Such findings
are consistent with ASAM treatment
guidelines (9), which recommend
that providers assess for and respond
to various social and legal risk
factors upon treatment entry.

You can read the study by clicking here.

GCASA offers specialized services for women both in GCASA's outpatient program and in GCASA's residential services program.

No comments: